Sohrabuddin case: CBI submits FIR copy in court
Ahmedabad: The Mumbai CBI which is probing
fake encounter of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and disappearance of his
wife, on Thursday submitted the FIR copy in a local court here.
The FIR was registered on February one at the special
crime branch of CBI in Mumbai, on a complaint filed by
Sohrabuddin`s brother Rubabuddin Sheikh.
The suspects include police officials of the Anti Terror
Squad of Gujarat and Rajasthan Special Task Force and others.
The CBI took up the case on directions of the Supreme
Court which came down heavily on the Gujarat police for
failing to conduct impartial investigations and attempting to
"mislead" the apex court by filing conflicting Action Taken
According to FIR, the offence committed by the accused in
2005 was "entering into criminal conspiracy for kidnapping or
abducting with intent to secretly and wrongfully confine
person, murder, wrongful restraint and disappearance of
evidence or giving false information to screen offender."
The team has collected case papers from Gujarat CID
department which had filed chargesheet against 14 police
officials including suspended DIG D G Vanzara and IPS officers
Rajkumar Pandyan and Dinesh M N, sources said.
According to legal experts, FIR filed by the CBI was a
fresh one and all the accused currently in jail, could be
remanded into police custody for questioning.
"All the procedure that can take place after the new FIR
would be followed including police remand for probing, visit
to the crime scene, questioning of witnesses and others," one
of the lawyers representing the accused in the 2005 case said.
Sheikh was allegedly killed by the Gujarat police with
the help of Rajasthan police claiming that he was planning to
kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi in November 2005.
The apex court asked the CBI to probe if there was any
"larger conspiracy" to the killings and submit the report
within six months for its perusal.
Suspended DIG Vanjara and Pandiyan (both Gujarat cadre
IPS officers) besides Dinesh M N (Rajasthan cadre IPS officer)
are the main accused in the killing of alleged gangster
Sohrabuddin Sheikh and disappearance of his wife Rubina.
Sohrabuddin`s brother Rubabuddin, who had filed a
petition in the Supreme Court, had demanded CBI inquiry into
the case as he doubted investigation done by Gujarat police.
CBI team has also written to the state government to
provide office to the team which would carry out investigation
into the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi