Sohrabuddin case: Johri manipulated records, says CBI witness
Mumbai: Senior IPS officer Geeta Johari, who supervised the investigation in Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case before CBI took it over, manipulated the records to protect the accused officers at the behest of former Gujarat home minister Amit Shah, a police officer has said in a statement.
The trial of the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case has been shifted to a Mumbai court, where Johri is one of the accused alongwith Amit Shah.
As per the prosecution case, the Apex court in 2007 asked the Gujarat CID to investigate the allegation of Sohrabuddin`s brother, Rubabuddin, about the fake encounter. The probe was done by the Deputy Superintendent of Police V L Solanki and was supervised by Geeta Johari, IGP-CID.
Solanki, in a statement to CBI, has said Johari called him and asked him to tear up the case papers and make new case papers favouring the police officials accused of involvement in fake encounter, as instructed by Shah. However, Solanki did not obey and continued the investigation, he claims.
According to Solanki, during the investigation it was revealed that Tulsiram Prajapati was a key witnesses to the Sohrabduddin encounter and hence Solanki sought permission from Johari to interrogate him on December 16, 2006.
But Johari allegedly told him that G S Raigar (then ADGP CID Crime, Gujarat police) had directed her to not proceed to Udaipur to examine Prajapati and wait till further order. While Raigar in his statement to CBI, stated that he had received no such request through Johri.
Sohrabuddin, a criminal, was killed in encounter by Gujarat police in November 2005.
Raigar has further stated that "in the second week of December 2006, myself, Johri and P C Pande, then DGP were called by Amit Shah in his office. He scolded us for not being able to tame Solanki, who wanted to drag the matter further in enquiry and asked to wrap up the matter".
Solanki further states that while he was waiting for approval to visit Tulsiram, he learnt that Tulsiram was killed in an encounter on December 28, 2006, in Banaskantha district of Gujarat.
Soon after the encounter Johri forwarded Solanki`s letter to Raigar seeking permission to visit Tulsiram. Raigar however, claims he never received any such letter. Raigar has alleged that the records have been tempered to prove the fake encounter as genuine.
According to Solanki, his letter seeking permission in December 2006 and original records have been destroyed and manipulated. The CBI has made Johari an accused for manipulating and destroying the evidence and record to protect the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon