Sohrabuddin case: SC notice to Amit Shah, other accused
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notices to Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah and other accused in the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh alleged fake encounter case on the plea of CBI seeking transfer of certain documents from Gujarat to a Maharashtra court.
"Issue notice to respondents returnable within four weeks," a bench of justices Ranjana Prakash Desai and Madan B Lokur said.
Shah was arrested by CBI on July 25, 2010 in connection with the case and had spent over three months in Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad before being granted the bail.
Besides Shah, suspended DIG D G Banjara, R K Pandiyan (both Gujarat cadre IPS officers) and Dinesh M N (Rajasthan cadre IPS officer) are main accused in the case.
N K Ameen, then DSP with Gujarat police, is also an accused in the case. All of them, except Shah, are in jail.
The court`s notice came on an application by CBI which is seeking a direction to get certain documents related to the case.
The apex court, on September 27, 2012, had ordered the transfer of the Sheikh encounter case to Maharashtra after the CBI alleged that witnesses were being intimidated and contended that trial cannot be held in a free and fair manner in Gujarat.
Sheikh and his wife Kauser Bi were allegedly abducted by Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) from Hyderabad and killed in a fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’