Sohrabuddin case: Shah says doesn`t remember
Ahmedabad: The CBI today grilled for
more than four hours former Gujarat minister Amit Shah in
Sabarmati jail for his alleged role in the killing of
suspected gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and his wife in 2005 and the accused is reported to have denied all charges levelled against him.
A CBI team started interrogating 46-year-old Shah
around 11 AM and his quizzing continued till around 3.30 PM,
sources in the Central agency said.
Shah, a close aide of Chief Minister Narendra Modi, feigned ignorance and seemed in no mood to cooperate with the team, CBI sources said. His answers were evasive and he took refuge behind a failing memory.
The questioning of Shah, lodged in Tilak barrack of
Sabarmati Jail near here after being arrested last Sunday, is
likely to continue tomorrow.
The BJP leader was asked questions pertaining to the
kidnapping of Sohrabuddin and his wife Kausar Bi and their
killings, political compulsions for conducting the encounter
and alleged involvement of Rajasthan marble lobby in it, the
Shah reportedly said he was not present on the spot and did not remember anything about the incident, a TV channel reported.
The CBI team was led by Chief Investigating Officer of
the case Amitabh Thakur.
The entire questioning process was videographed as per
the instruction of the special CBI court, they said.
The court has permitted the investigating agency to
question Shah inside the jail from July 28 to 30.
As per the charge sheet filed by CBI last week, Shah
has been booked for murder, kidnapping, extortion, destruction
of evidence and criminal conspiracy, among other charges.
According to the charge sheet, the police officials of
Gujarat ATS and Rajasthan Special Task Force (STF) had
allegedly stage managed the encounter of Sohrabuddin near
Shah had allegedly entrusted the job of eliminating
Sohrabuddin to three senior IPS officers -- D G Vanzara,
Rajkumar Pandiyan and Abhay Chudasama, the CBI document
"Elimination of Sohrabuddin was being used for
extortion by the accused persons to establish an element of
fear in the minds of the businessmen and others," it alleged.
According to the charge sheet, Shah was in constant
touch over telephone with Vanzara when Sohrabuddin and his
wife were in the custody of Gujarat Police. It further alleged
that Vanzara was instructed by Shah to eliminate Kausar Bi as
she was a key witness to her husband`s abduction.
After the case was transferred to CBI in January this
year, Shah had directed Ajay Patel and Yashpal Chudasama, his
close confidants, to "convince, coerce, threaten and influence
the witnesses on his behalf to conceal the truth from CBI
about the fake encounter of Sohrabuddin", the charge sheet
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata