Sohrabuddin case: Shah`s interrogation concludes
Ahmedabad: CBI today concluded its three-
day grilling of Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter
case during which the former Gujarat minister did not give
satisfactory replies to questions put to him despite an
assurance by his lawyer that he would cooperate in the probe.
Sources in the CBI said a four-member team of the
investigating agency quizzed Shah for the third consecutive
day for nearly four hours inside the Sabarmati central jail,
where he has been lodged since his arrest on July 25.
They said like the previous two days, the BJP leader
did not cooperate in the investigation into the 2005 episode.
Shah has not been giving proper replies to questions
put to him despite the assurance given by his lawyer in court
that he would cooperate in the probe, they said.
The special CBI court had earlier allowed questioning
of the former minister of state for home from July 28 to 30.
The nearly five-year-old case also involves killing of
Sheikh`s wife Kausar Bi allegedly by Gujarat Police.
Shah has been booked by CBI for murder, kidnapping,
destruction of evidence and criminal conspiracy, among other
charges. The charge sheet in the case was filed on July 23.
According to the charge sheet, police officials of
Gujarat ATS and Rajasthan Special Task Force had stage managed
the encounter of Sheikh, a suspected gangster, near Ahmedabad.
Shah had entrusted the job of eliminating Sheikh to
three senior IPS officers -- D G Vanzara, Rajkumar Pandiyan
and Abhay Chudasama, the CBI document said.
"Elimination of Sohrabuddin was being used for
extortion by the accused persons to establish an element of
fear in the minds of the businessmen and others."
The CBI further alleged Shah was in constant touch
over telephone with Vanzara when Sheikh and his wife were in
custody of the state police. Vanzara was instructed allegedly
by Shah to eliminate Kausar Bi, a key witness to her husband`s
After the case was transferred to CBI in January, Shah
directed Ajay Patel and Yashpal Chudasama, his
close confidants, to "convince, coerce, threaten, influence
the witnesses on his behalf to conceal the truth from CBI
about the fake encounter of Sohrabuddin", the charge sheet
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical