Sohrabuddin case shifted to Mumbai, Amit Shah allowed to enter Gujarat
New Delhi: In a major setback to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to cancel the bail given to former Gujarat home minister Amit Shah in connection with the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
The apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, however, transferred the trial in Sohrabuddin and his wife Kausar Bi killing case outside Gujarat to Mumbai.
Pronouncing a brief order, Justice Alam said, “The CBI plea against the grant of bail to Amit Shah by Gujarat High Court is dismissed. However, the plea for the transfer of trial outside the state is allowed.”
This implies that Shah will now be free to enter Gujarat as the apex court today dismissed the petition moved by the CBI. In its petition, the central probe agency had contended that Shah, a former close aide of state’s Chief Minister Narendra Modi, may try to influence witnesses in the case.
Today`s ruling is a major jolt to the central investigating agency probing the fake encounter case but it has given a major breather to the BJP government as Shah is considered to be one of the main strategists for Narendra Modi.
However, the apex court order to shift the case to Mumbai will be a cause of worry for the BJP government in Gujarat.
Sohrabuddin and his wife Kauser Bi were allegedly abducted by the Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) from Hyderabad and killed in a fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.
Shah was arrested by the CBI on July 25, 2010 and was lodged in the Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad where he stayed for three months.
He had to quit the Modi government in July last year after having been slapped with kidnapping and murder charges in the fake encounter killing.
Shah, who is currently out on bail, was restricted by the Supreme Court from entering the state.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM