Sohrabuddin killing: Guj HC sends cop`s plea to CBI court
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat High Court Thursday referred back to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court the question of the constitutional validity of jailed police officer N.K. Amin turning approver in the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh staged shootout case.
A division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and H.B. Antani observed that "the co-accused have no role to play before granting pardon and recording statement of N.K. Amin. The high court directs the magistrate to proceed with hearing but not to pass order for two weeks on granting pardon".
On July 26, suspended deputy superintendent of police Amin had moved the CBI court of Justice A.Y. Dave seeking pardon and permission to become an approver in the case under section 306 of the CrPC.
The matter was referred to the high court by the CBI court, which sought a decision on the constitutional validity of Amin`s plea.
On Sep 27, the high court had reserved its order till Oct 7.
The CBI took the stand that it had no objection to Amin becoming an approver.
Eight co-accused, including suspended IPS officers D.G. Vanzara, Rajkumar Pandian and Dinesh M.N., raised objections to such application.
Amin was assistant commissioner of police before being arrested in 2007 in connection with Sohrabuddin Sheikh`s killing in a staged shootout Nov 26, 2005 in Ahmedabad. His wife Kauserbi is suspected to have been killed at a farm near the city two days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read