Sonia, Modi lock horns over central funds, Sir Creek
Kalol/Anand: Sonia Gandhi and Narendra Modi locked horns on Friday after the Congress President charged that Central funds were misused by the Gujarat government and the Chief Minister was "inciting" people by raising concerns over border security through the Sir Creek issue.
Responding to Sonia`s charges, Modi took a jibe at the Congress Chief, asking her to do her "homework" before coming to the state for election campaign. He accused her of trying to mislead the people.
In an attempt to connect with the voters, Gandhi also spoke briefly in Gujarati making an appeal to them to return the Congress candidates with huge margins. Campaigning for the second phase of the Assembly polls on Monday ends tomorrow.
Gandhi charged that Central funds were misused by the Gujarat government to harp on false development claims and "fake image building".
Without taking Modi`s name, Sonia, while addressing a poll rally in Kalol town of Gandhinagar district, said, "Our UPA government for agriculture development, water harvesting...And for other such type of schemes has made large funds available to them...Which is the right of Gujarat also".
"But, those funds are mis-utilised here to trumpet false claims of development and for your fake image building," Gandhi said targeting Modi.
She said UPA government provided 50 percent more funds to Gujarat than the BJP-led NDA government.
"To benefit some special people and businessmen, all these schemes were used for them. Common man is not getting any benefit," the Congress leader alleged.
She also alleged that the issue of Sir Creek was being raised for "political interest" and asserted that her government will not allow anyone to play with the unity of nation at any cost.
Modi has been raising the issue of Sir Creek in each public meeting that he has been addressing in the state in the last two days.
"They are trying to incite the people by taking up the issue of borders of our country, national unity and integrity...Which is also against our party...Whose leaders like Indira Gandhiji and Rajiv Gandhiji, for national unity and integrity had laid down their lives," Gandhi said.
"We at any cost...At any cost will not allow anyone to play with the unity of nation," she asserted.
"As far as I know, you understand everything and can clearly differentiate between truth and lies...And you will not fall prey into BJP`s net," Gandhi said.
Modi responded to Gandhi`s charges through Twitter and also at a rally in Anand.
"Sonia Gandhi came to Gujarat today but today also she came without doing her homework. Spreading lies and trying to mislead the people," he said.
On Gandhi’s comments that the UPA has given more money to Gujarat that the BJP-led NDA, Modi said, "Do not resort to such lies and mislead the nation. Gujarat gets Rs 8,000 crore per year less as compared to what it was getting during Atal Bihari Vajpayee?s NDA Government."
Modi refuted Sonia`s charges that he was trying to instigate the people by raising border security concerns thrugh the Sir Creek issue.
The BJP leader said the issue was important for the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal