Sonia, Modi lock horns over central funds, Sir Creek
Kalol/Anand: Sonia Gandhi and Narendra Modi locked horns on Friday after the Congress President charged that Central funds were misused by the Gujarat government and the Chief Minister was "inciting" people by raising concerns over border security through the Sir Creek issue.
Responding to Sonia`s charges, Modi took a jibe at the Congress Chief, asking her to do her "homework" before coming to the state for election campaign. He accused her of trying to mislead the people.
In an attempt to connect with the voters, Gandhi also spoke briefly in Gujarati making an appeal to them to return the Congress candidates with huge margins. Campaigning for the second phase of the Assembly polls on Monday ends tomorrow.
Gandhi charged that Central funds were misused by the Gujarat government to harp on false development claims and "fake image building".
Without taking Modi`s name, Sonia, while addressing a poll rally in Kalol town of Gandhinagar district, said, "Our UPA government for agriculture development, water harvesting...And for other such type of schemes has made large funds available to them...Which is the right of Gujarat also".
"But, those funds are mis-utilised here to trumpet false claims of development and for your fake image building," Gandhi said targeting Modi.
She said UPA government provided 50 percent more funds to Gujarat than the BJP-led NDA government.
"To benefit some special people and businessmen, all these schemes were used for them. Common man is not getting any benefit," the Congress leader alleged.
She also alleged that the issue of Sir Creek was being raised for "political interest" and asserted that her government will not allow anyone to play with the unity of nation at any cost.
Modi has been raising the issue of Sir Creek in each public meeting that he has been addressing in the state in the last two days.
"They are trying to incite the people by taking up the issue of borders of our country, national unity and integrity...Which is also against our party...Whose leaders like Indira Gandhiji and Rajiv Gandhiji, for national unity and integrity had laid down their lives," Gandhi said.
"We at any cost...At any cost will not allow anyone to play with the unity of nation," she asserted.
"As far as I know, you understand everything and can clearly differentiate between truth and lies...And you will not fall prey into BJP`s net," Gandhi said.
Modi responded to Gandhi`s charges through Twitter and also at a rally in Anand.
"Sonia Gandhi came to Gujarat today but today also she came without doing her homework. Spreading lies and trying to mislead the people," he said.
On Gandhi’s comments that the UPA has given more money to Gujarat that the BJP-led NDA, Modi said, "Do not resort to such lies and mislead the nation. Gujarat gets Rs 8,000 crore per year less as compared to what it was getting during Atal Bihari Vajpayee?s NDA Government."
Modi refuted Sonia`s charges that he was trying to instigate the people by raising border security concerns thrugh the Sir Creek issue.
The BJP leader said the issue was important for the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt