SP to field candidates on 56 seats in Gujarat polls
Vadodara: Samajwadi Party will put up candidates in 56 of the Assembly 182 seats in Gujarat, elections for which are slated to be held in December, Uttar Pradesh Education Minister Brahmashankar Tripathi said on Thursday.
"We want to strengthen the secular forces and contest Gujarat Assembly polls based on the ideology of Mahatma Gandhi," he told mediapersons here, adding that they would field 56 candidates in the state elections.
Tripathi was in the city to address a convention of party workers.
On whether SP will have an alliance with any other party in the state, he said, "SP will not have any alliance with Congress or BJP and we want to emerge as a strong party to play a significant role in the formation of the government in Gujarat after the polls."
"Our party will prefer formation of Third Front for contesting the next Lok Sabha elections, whenever it is held," Tripathi said, adding that the Front will not have Congress and BJP as its allied partners.
Describing Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav as the "most popular leader" he said there is no question of comparing him with the Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
To a question on expulsion of SP`s Rajya MP and editor of an Urdu daily Shahid Siddique after he took Modi`s interview, he said "it is party`s internal matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!