SP to field candidates on 56 seats in Gujarat polls
Vadodara: Samajwadi Party will put up candidates in 56 of the Assembly 182 seats in Gujarat, elections for which are slated to be held in December, Uttar Pradesh Education Minister Brahmashankar Tripathi said on Thursday.
"We want to strengthen the secular forces and contest Gujarat Assembly polls based on the ideology of Mahatma Gandhi," he told mediapersons here, adding that they would field 56 candidates in the state elections.
Tripathi was in the city to address a convention of party workers.
On whether SP will have an alliance with any other party in the state, he said, "SP will not have any alliance with Congress or BJP and we want to emerge as a strong party to play a significant role in the formation of the government in Gujarat after the polls."
"Our party will prefer formation of Third Front for contesting the next Lok Sabha elections, whenever it is held," Tripathi said, adding that the Front will not have Congress and BJP as its allied partners.
Describing Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav as the "most popular leader" he said there is no question of comparing him with the Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
To a question on expulsion of SP`s Rajya MP and editor of an Urdu daily Shahid Siddique after he took Modi`s interview, he said "it is party`s internal matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown