SSNNL forms dist committees to expedite canal works
Ahmedabad: To secure active participation
of stakeholders like various government agencies and farmers,
Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd (SSNNL) has set up district
level coordination committees (DLCC) to expedite the canal
network of the Narmada project.
The SSNNL, which is implementing the ambitious Narmada
project, with command area of 18.4 lakh hectare, wants to
complete the entire project by 2015.
"The development of command area is a
multi-disciplinary task encompassing formation and
registration of water users` association (WUA), land
acquisition for construction of canals like minors, sub minors
and field channels and regular repairs and maintenance of the
canal network and collection of irrigation revenue," said S
Jagdeesan, MD of SSNNL.
According to him, the DLCCs will consist of officials
of revenue, agriculture and other departments.
"The DLCCs will be charged with functions such as
formation and effective functioning of WUAs, expeditious
acquisition of land for canal construction, execution of
drainage plan, enforcement of discipline in water distribution
and other activities," he said.
The committees have also been empowered to prepare
command area development and water management reports for the
districts and would also maintain and coordinate accounts of
So far only about 20 per cent of total canal network
has been completed which has brought around 1.2 lakh hectare
area under irrigation.
The Narmada project, often described as the lifeline
of Gujarat, will provide irrigation to 18.4 lakh hectare area
in more than 15 districts of the state while more than 10,000
villages and towns will get drinking water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan