Stay away from BJP, Vaghela advises minority community
Vadodara: Gujarat Congress leader Shankersinh Vaghela on Monday cautioned members of a particular community against joining BJP.
In an informal chat with reporters here, the Leader of Opposition said members of the minority community joining the state`s ruling party is akin to them being "going to the slaughter house".
Vaghela was in the city to take part in the ongoing Ganesh festival celebrations.
The former chief minister said the minority community members should keep in mind the 2002 post-Godhra riots and the recent communal violence in Muzaffarnagar before veering towards the saffron outfit. He did not elaborate.
Vaghela`s comments come in the wake of reports that a large number of the community members are set to join BJP in Gujarat.
Speaking separately, Congress leader and Union minister Bharat Solanki, without naming Chief Minister Narendra Modi, attacked him for nursing ambition to become Prime Minister.
History shows that political leaders who expressed their desire to become Prime Minister had to be disappointed as their dream remained unfulfilled, he maintained.
Solanki, who was also here to take part in Ganesh festival, questioned the ability of the BJP`s candidate for the top post to handle issues related to foreign affairs.
The country needs a Prime Minister who is peace-loving, mature and committed to all-around development, the Congress leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach