Stones pelted at civic staff removing Haren Pandya posters
Ahmedabad: People pelted stones when civic authorities tried to remove posters of slain former Gujarat Home Minister Haren Pandya, whose wife Jagruti Pandya is contesting Gujarat polls against ruling BJP`s Rakesh Shah, from Ellisbridge assembly constituency.
On Wednesday, Deputy Taluka Development Officer (TDO) H R Shah lodged a complaint in Ellisbridge police station against unnamed people for obstructing the civic staff to do their duty and for breaking the windshield of their vehicle.
The incident occured in the morning when some local residents of Chandranagar here objected to an encroachment removal team which began removing posters containing the picture of Haren Pandya.
"It suddenly spun out of control as supporters pelted stones and the team left the scene leaving the vehicle there," the police said.
Reacting angrily over the issue, Jagruti alleged local authorities have now begun to treat Haren Pandya as an "encroachment".
"For the past ten years, the BJP government has done nothing to bring justice to my husband and now when I have brought my fight for justice to the poeple of his constituency, authorities have started treating Haren Pandya as an encroachment," she told PTI.
"So, why don`t they remove every religious poster or of some social cause put up everywhere in the city? Did they see only those posters which have my husband`s photo on it," she said.
"In those posters, there was no political writing and were in no way considered election posters. Yet, the authorities were removing it," she said.
In the FIR, it was also alleged the civic staff had been removing posters which were there without prior permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi