Student arrested for threatening Gujarat BJP MLA
Ahmedabad: A student has been nabbed from Gurgaon for threatening Jagrupsinh Rajput, the BJP MLA from Bapunagar in Ahmedabad, the police said on Sunday.
"Mahesh Ambare was arrested from Gurgaon yesterday. He is a second-year student, originally hailing from Karnataka. He seems to be mentally disturbed and Rajput does not want to go ahead with the case against him," Odhav police pnspector M S Sheikh said.
"He had also threatened an MLA from Karnataka. It seems he wanted to make money in this manner. Only after detailed interrogation, a clear picture will emerge," he said.
Last week, Rajput had received a call from an unknown person threatening to kill him, demanding Rs 10 lakh from him.
Rajput informed Odhav police which tracked down the number of the caller to Gurgaon. Odhav police laid a trap by asking Rajput to attend the calls continuously, besides asking the caller for his bank account details.
The caller gave details of a bank account of a private bank in Bangalore, the police said, adding that when the police contacted the bank manager, he told them that even Bellary police had inquired about details of this bank account holder.
Odhav police contacted the Bellary police, which arrested Ambare from Gurgaon yesterday. Further investigation is on, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Here's a docu-fiction on the journey of 'Sultan'! Watch video
- Vodafone tax case: HC allows penalty proceedings to go on
- EU leaders meet without Cameron over Brexit vote
- Gareth Southgate set to become the new England manager on temporary basis
- Jumbo takes flight! Eight key quotes from Anil Kumble's first press conference as India coach