Student arrested for threatening Gujarat BJP MLA
Ahmedabad: A student has been nabbed from Gurgaon for threatening Jagrupsinh Rajput, the BJP MLA from Bapunagar in Ahmedabad, the police said on Sunday.
"Mahesh Ambare was arrested from Gurgaon yesterday. He is a second-year student, originally hailing from Karnataka. He seems to be mentally disturbed and Rajput does not want to go ahead with the case against him," Odhav police pnspector M S Sheikh said.
"He had also threatened an MLA from Karnataka. It seems he wanted to make money in this manner. Only after detailed interrogation, a clear picture will emerge," he said.
Last week, Rajput had received a call from an unknown person threatening to kill him, demanding Rs 10 lakh from him.
Rajput informed Odhav police which tracked down the number of the caller to Gurgaon. Odhav police laid a trap by asking Rajput to attend the calls continuously, besides asking the caller for his bank account details.
The caller gave details of a bank account of a private bank in Bangalore, the police said, adding that when the police contacted the bank manager, he told them that even Bellary police had inquired about details of this bank account holder.
Odhav police contacted the Bellary police, which arrested Ambare from Gurgaon yesterday. Further investigation is on, the police said.
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside