Submit inquiry report on a PIL alleging atrocities: HC to cops
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday asked the police to submit an inquiry report on a PIL filed by Islamic Relief Committee of Gujarat alleging atrocities on Muslims by police at Sansrod village in Karjan taluka of Vadodara district.
A mob had attacked a police team raiding an illegal slaughter house on October 16 at Sansrod village.
Six persons -- four policemen and members of a local cow protection committee-- were injured when the mob pelted stones on them and also set a police vehicle on fire.
The next day, police had conducted combing operations at the village in which close to 40 persons were detained.
A bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala today asked police to submit a report on the inquiry conducted by police into the incident. The court posted the matter for further hearing after Diwali vacation.
The petition charged police resorted to "high-handedness, violence and use of abusive language" against the villagers including women and old, which resulted in rioting.
The PIL accuses police and persons with vested interests of raiding the village and undertaking combing operations, in which police arrested around 40 people from Muslim community and illegally took away livestocks kept for Eid sacrifice.
The petitioner further alleged Muslim villagers, who were arrested, are being ruthlessly beaten up in police lock-up not only by police officers but also by people from outside.
The PIL also prayed for directing the National Human Rights Commission or the State Human Rights Commission to probe the allegations of human rights and fundamental right violations or transfer investigation into the offences already registered to any impartial probe agency like CBI or CID.
Cow slaughter and even transporting of the animal for the purpose is banned in Gujarat and the offenders are liable to face seven years in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers