Surat set to shine as diamond trading centre
Surat, Gujarat: Surat, which polishes almost more than 95 percent of the world`s diamonds, is poised to become the assorting and trading hub for the precious jewel stone in the next 3-4 years.
"Surat has all the potential of becoming the hub for direct trading and assorting of diamonds in India, with the opening of International Gemological Institute`s (IGI)
International Certification Laboratory here," Rohit Mehta, President Surat Diamond Association (SDA) said.
"Recently, Asit Mehta-run Blue Diamond shifted its base from Belgium to Surat, indicating the potential this city has," Mehta said adding, the firm owner is considered as an industry stalwart in deciding prices of rough diamonds.
Rough diamonds from the world come to Surat for cutting and polishing, while their assorting is done by the diamontaries in Mumbai to meet the customer-specific demands
coming from foreign shores.
IGI has launched its diamond certification and stone grading laboratory in Surat, and is equipped to laser inscribe codes on diamonds, providing each one a unique identity.
"With the launch of this international diamond grading facility in Surat the industry will get a fillip. The units can begin online-trading using these certificates and also negotiate the price with overseas buyers," Chandrakant Sanghvi, Regional Head, Surat Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India