Surat`s rich zari craft gets GI status
Ahmedabad: The grand and glittering centuries-old zari-making craft of Surat district in Gujarat has been granted Geographical Indication (GI) status, protecting it against infringement.
"The Geographical Indication office in Chennai has accorded GI status to Surat`s zari craft recently. It has brought cheers to over 1.50 lakh stakeholders directly or indirectly earning their livelihood," a member of FICCI (Western Region) said.
GI of goods refer to the geographical indication referring to a place of origin of that product, which attributes it the quality, reputation and distinctiveness.
"The grant of GI status to Surat`s zari craft will prevent others from duplicating it. It is one of the oldest industry in Surat linked to changing prices of gold and silver from which it is made," Arun Zariwala, member of Federation of
Indian Art Shilp Weaving Industry Association said.
`Zari` is a type of thread made of fine gold or silver wire used in traditional Indian and Pakistani garments. This thread is woven into fabrics, primarily made of silk to create intricate patterns.
Chinese zari manufacturers and few domestic producers in other parts of the country have been flooding the markets with duplicate Zari.
The Textile Committee of FICCI and the Surat zari industry felt the need for protection of this craft from infringement under the provisions of Geographical Indications Act. This is when they filed an application to obtain GI status in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test