Surprised that IB officer not named in CBI chargesheet in Ishrat case: Lawyer
Ahmedabad: The lawyer of one of the four people killed in a police encounter in the Ishrat Jahan case which the CBI established as fake on Wednesday expressed surprise that Rajinder Kumar, a Special Director of Intelligence Bureau, was not named in its first chargesheet itself.
Mukul Sinha, lawyer for Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, alleged there was political pressure behind Kumar not being made an accused in the first charge sheet submitted in the 2004 Ishar Jahan encounter case.
"I am surprised his(Kumar) name was not there," he added.
Sinha said Kumar should not only be named but also arrested especially when the CBI submitted in its charge sheet that the fake encounter was a "joint operation" between Gujarat police and Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau (SIB).
"It is a clever method of hiding the truth as far as the actual culprits are concerned," Sinha said, and alleged that Kumar is one of the main accused.
The chargesheet, however, said investigation is on against Kumar and other four officers of the IB.
The court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate H S Khutwad was also told that a supplementary charge sheet would be filed against IB officers once the investigation was over.
Besides Ishrat, a 19-year old college girl and Shaikh, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in the encounter near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
Kumar has already been questioned twice by CBI triggering a row between the probe agency and the IB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning