Sylvester escape: 5 Vadodara policemen arrested
Ahmedabad/Udaipur: Five Gujarat policemen
have been arrested in connection with the escape of a key
witness in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
The arrested policemen, however, were released on bail,
The five were arrested for the escape of Sylvester, a
close aide of slain gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh, from their
Sylvester, who was lodged in Vadodara jail, escaped from
police custody in Udaipur, Rajasthan, where he had been taken
for a court hearing yesterday. He was caught late in the
evening by the Rajasthan police.
He is a key witness in Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter
case, being probed by CBI.
"After the arrest of Sylvester, it has been established
that the Gujarat police team had taken the accused to his
house in Bhopalpura (Rajasthan) after producing him in a court
on Friday," a senior Rajasthan police officer said.
"There was certainly carelessness of Gujarat police who
instead of going back to Gujarat took him to his house on
request of the accused. He wanted to meet his family members
and had managed to flee from there. Sylvester was rearrested
late last night from the same locality," Additional SP Udaipur
(City) Tejraj Singh said.
"Gujarat police`s sub-inspector M Guhil, head constable
Ambalal, constables Vijay Babu and Ranchod Bhai and driver
Gopal Singh were arrested in this connection and released on
bail today," he said.
Meanwhile, Gujarat DGP Chittranjan Singh said the
arrested policemen have also been suspended.
"A departmental investigation has also been initiated
against them," Singh said, addressing a joint press conference
with Vadodra Police commissioner Satish Sharma in Gandhinagar.
The DGP, however, denied that the policemen intentionally
let Sylvester escape as he is a witness in the Sohrabuddin
case in which former minister of state for home, Amit Shah, is
a prime accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez