Teacher gets life imprisonment for raping a minor student in Gujarat
Vadodara: A 31-year-old teacher was sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court for raping his 12-year- old girl student at his tuition class at Aajod village on the outskirts of the city.
Pronouncing the judgement on Saturday, Second Additional District Sessions Judge?R A Ghoghari observed, "It is one of the cases where a pious and sacred relationship has been ravished."
Dismissing pleas of leniency for the married teacher, Pranav Manubhai Patel, made by his defence lawyer, the judge said, "Trust has been betrayed and social values have been impaired."
Besides a fine of Rs 50,000 slapped on him, he has been asked to pay compensation of Rs 1 lakh to the victim.
The convict used to run tuition classes at his residence and parents had sent their daughter to him for coaching since the sixth standard student was weak in several subjects.
However, the teacher kept raping the girl for one and a half years, until she managed to muster enough courage to narrate it to her classmate who informed the victim`s mother, who lodged a complaint with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her