Teacher gets life imprisonment for raping a minor student in Gujarat
Vadodara: A 31-year-old teacher was sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court for raping his 12-year- old girl student at his tuition class at Aajod village on the outskirts of the city.
Pronouncing the judgement on Saturday, Second Additional District Sessions Judge?R A Ghoghari observed, "It is one of the cases where a pious and sacred relationship has been ravished."
Dismissing pleas of leniency for the married teacher, Pranav Manubhai Patel, made by his defence lawyer, the judge said, "Trust has been betrayed and social values have been impaired."
Besides a fine of Rs 50,000 slapped on him, he has been asked to pay compensation of Rs 1 lakh to the victim.
The convict used to run tuition classes at his residence and parents had sent their daughter to him for coaching since the sixth standard student was weak in several subjects.
However, the teacher kept raping the girl for one and a half years, until she managed to muster enough courage to narrate it to her classmate who informed the victim`s mother, who lodged a complaint with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Wanted gangster Kumar Pillai, held in Singapore, extradited to Mumbai
- Sensex shrugs off Brexit fears, climbs 82 points
- Yazidi victim demands genocide trial for Islamic State leaders
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer advance but Britain's World No. 706 Marcus Willis steals show
- It's so simple! Watch how to get ready sans make-up