Team probing Ishrat Jahan killing seeks legal help
Gandhinagar: The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the 2004 Ishrat Jahan staged shootout case has filed a petition before the Gujarat High Court seeking appointment of a lawyer to assist in the probe.
Chairperson of the high court-appointed SIT Karnail Singh has sought the appointment of an amicus curiae, a lawyer tasked by court, to assist the team on legal points which may arise during the probe.
The petition is expected to come up before a high court bench which set up the SIT, comprising of two Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service (IPS) officers Mohan Jha and Satish Verma. The team`s chief is also a senior IPS officer who was earlier posted in Delhi.
Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan was killed in a shootout in June 2004 along with three others. Gujarat police at the time claimed that Ishrat and the three others were Lashkar-e-Toiba operatives on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
According to police, they were intercepted on the outskirts of Ahmedabad when they were about to enter the city in a car.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?