Team probing Ishrat Jahan killing seeks legal help
Gandhinagar: The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the 2004 Ishrat Jahan staged shootout case has filed a petition before the Gujarat High Court seeking appointment of a lawyer to assist in the probe.
Chairperson of the high court-appointed SIT Karnail Singh has sought the appointment of an amicus curiae, a lawyer tasked by court, to assist the team on legal points which may arise during the probe.
The petition is expected to come up before a high court bench which set up the SIT, comprising of two Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service (IPS) officers Mohan Jha and Satish Verma. The team`s chief is also a senior IPS officer who was earlier posted in Delhi.
Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan was killed in a shootout in June 2004 along with three others. Gujarat police at the time claimed that Ishrat and the three others were Lashkar-e-Toiba operatives on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
According to police, they were intercepted on the outskirts of Ahmedabad when they were about to enter the city in a car.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report