‘Teesta Setalvad liable for defamation case’
Ahmedabad: Local police, who conducted inquiry into a complaint of defamation against social activist Teesta Setalvad and two others, filed by her former associate Rais Khan, have said a criminal case can be registered.
"We have found that Teesta Setalvad, Javed Anand (her husband and editor of Communalism Combat magazine) and Henri Tiphagne (of People`s Watch) are liable for the offences under sections 499, 500, 501...Of IPC," says DCP Parikshita Gurjar in her report, submitted in a court here a few days ago.
On Monday, Magistrate T S Brahmabhatt directed Khan to remain present on December 26, when the court will decide on further course of action.
The Magistrate, on July 23, had ordered inquiry upon Khan`s complaint which claimed that Setalvad accused him of discrediting and harassing witnesses of 2002 Gujarat riots cases, and of enjoying patronage of Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
Khan cited `Communalism Combat`, CJP (Setalvad`s NGO) website and a petition filed by Setalvad in the Supreme Court to make out his case of defamation.
Meanwhile, Setalvad has filed a petition in the Gujarat High Court seeking quashing of Magistrate`s order of police inquiry. High Court, on October 5, issued notices to Rais Khan and the state; next hearing is on November 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow