‘Teesta Setalvad liable for defamation case’
Ahmedabad: Local police, who conducted inquiry into a complaint of defamation against social activist Teesta Setalvad and two others, filed by her former associate Rais Khan, have said a criminal case can be registered.
"We have found that Teesta Setalvad, Javed Anand (her husband and editor of Communalism Combat magazine) and Henri Tiphagne (of People`s Watch) are liable for the offences under sections 499, 500, 501...Of IPC," says DCP Parikshita Gurjar in her report, submitted in a court here a few days ago.
On Monday, Magistrate T S Brahmabhatt directed Khan to remain present on December 26, when the court will decide on further course of action.
The Magistrate, on July 23, had ordered inquiry upon Khan`s complaint which claimed that Setalvad accused him of discrediting and harassing witnesses of 2002 Gujarat riots cases, and of enjoying patronage of Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
Khan cited `Communalism Combat`, CJP (Setalvad`s NGO) website and a petition filed by Setalvad in the Supreme Court to make out his case of defamation.
Meanwhile, Setalvad has filed a petition in the Gujarat High Court seeking quashing of Magistrate`s order of police inquiry. High Court, on October 5, issued notices to Rais Khan and the state; next hearing is on November 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan