Ten vehicles torched in US anti-Islam film protest
Ahmedabad: A huge mob of more than 2000 people torched ten vehicles, including two police vehicles Wednesday, after a protest against an anti-Islam film made in the USA, turned violent in the old city area here, police officials said.
Ten policemen were also injured due to stone-pelting, while one police vehicle and a motorcycle were torched in the incident, as the mob went berserk, they said.
Police fired more than 20 rounds of tear gas shells and resorted to a lathi charge to quell the mob.
The mob had gathered at 2 pm in Sardarbaug to protest against the film, reached the Juma Masjid, which is a few kilometres away from Sardarbaug and met Mufti Shabbir Alam Siddiqi who advised them against taking out the rally, Joint Commissioner of Police Ajay Tomar said.
Those who wished to organise the rally went berserk and torched Khaas Bazar Chowky near Karanj Mahila Police station, he said.
"I strongly believe that this was just venting of anger and not planned violence at all," he said.
The police arrested more than 90 people to control the situation. Reinforcements from six police stations like Dariapur, Kalupur, Shahpur, Karanj, Gaekwad Haveli and Crime Branch had to be called in to control the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video