Tension in Rajkot ahead of Modi`s sadbhavna fast
Rajkot: The atmosphere in the city has
become tense ahead of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s
sadbhavna fast and the rival fast of Congress MP, Kunvarji
Bavaliya, on December 26.
Scuffles broke out yesterday as workers of BJP and
Congress were canvassing support for the fasts of their
Congress workers, led by city unit president Jasvant
Bhatti, were removing Modi`s posters at the race course ground
yesterday when BJP corporator and former mayor Uday Kangad
allegedly assaulted Bhatti.
Congress workers led by Bavaliya staged a sit-in at
police commissioner`s office, forcing police to arrest Kangad,
who was later released.
Kangad and Bhatti have lodged complaint against each
Congress workers also burnt Modi`s posters last evening
and police commissioner Geetha Johri herself led the
lathicharge to bring the situation under control. Five
Congress workers including opposition leader in Rajkot
Municipal Corporation, Keyur Masraniya, were detained.
Over 1,000 policemen including 11 Superintendents of
Police and 34 DySps would be deployed at Modi`s fast site,
said police commissioner Johri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal