Think big, Narendra Modi tells farmers
Gandhinagar: Chief minister Narendra Modi on Monday urged farmers to target higher productivity by adopting the latest techniques in farming.
Modi was speaking to farmers assembled from several states for the Vibrant Gujarat Global Agriculture Summit in Gandhinagar.
He said that farmers are willing to take risks and experiment, and are more progressive than the government. He also asked the farmers to have a global view, and cited the example of farmers in Kutch, who are now growing and exporting dates (khajoor) across the globe.
While stressing on the need of e-governance in farming, he said that young farmers should be apprised of applications of information technology in farming.
Talking about low productivity of Indian farmers, Modi said, “There are many developing countries that have much higher productivity than our farmers. We have more cattle, but their productivity needs to be improved. Research is needed to achieve this.”
The farmers were asked by Modi to focus on organic farming, citing the vast market available for such products.
Taking a dig at prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh, the CM said that a host of suggestions made by him to the PM for improving state of agriculture in the country have not been acted upon. Modi said he had suggested to the PM that 500 towns should be picked for producing fertilisers from solid waste.
Participants from a large number of countries such as Denmark, Netherlands, South Africa, Ireland, Australia, Madagascar, Bolivia, and Gambia are taking part in the two-day event. Modi said farmers from 542 districts in 29 states and two union territories are attending the Summit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Navjot Singh Sidhu says he quit Rajya Sabha because he was told to stay away from Punjab
- Missing IAF AN32: Co-pilot Pankaj Nandel's family hopeful of his return
- Lifestyle and home remedies to deal with panic attacks!
- Quran desecration case: AAP MLA Naresh Yadav sent to 2-day police custody
- Beijing dodges ASEAN rebuke over South China Sea row