Three dead as rains lash parts of Gujarat
Ahmedabad/Rajkot: Rains lashed many parts of Gujarat Monday, including parched regions of Saurashtra and Kutch, leaving three people dead.
Kutch and Saurashtra regions, the worst hit due to deficient rainfall so far, witnessed incessant rains.
Many parts of Saurashtra received upto 75 mm rainfall in the last 36 hours. Jamnagar recorded 65 mm, Amreli (77), Junagadh (40) and Gondal in Rajkot 75 mm of rainfall, district control room said.
Three persons including two children were killed when lightning struck them in two different incidents in Rajkot district of Saurashtra region.
Devgan Jhala (14) and his cousin Kisan Jhala (13) were working in their field at Kotda Sanghani when lightning struck them, police said.
The duo were brought to Rajkot Civil hospital but succumbed to their burn injuries, Dr Harsha Patel at Civil hospital said.
In an another incident, a farmer was killed by lightning when he was working in his farm in Jagdan town of Rajkot district, officials said.
Meanwhile, heavy rains lashed Ahmedabad disrupting vehicular movement at many places.
Parched Gujarat is expected to witness heavy to very rains across the state over the next few days, a regional Indian Meteorological department official said here today.
"Many parts of the state including Kutch and Saurashtra will get between 7 cm and 15 cm rainfall over the next couple of days," Meteorologist at regional IMD Manorama Mohanty said.
According to IMD, off shore trough on sea level chart extended from South Gujarat coast to Kerala coast persists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites