Three-storey building collapses in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: Three persons, including a 65-year-old woman, were rescued on Friday from the debris of a three-storeyed building, a portion of which collapsed here allegedly due to ongoing renovation work on the ground floor, fire officials said.
According to Bodakdev Station Fire Officer M P Mistry, the incident took place around 11 am in Ranip area of the city where part of `Rupal Apartment` crashed.
Mistry said that a 65-year-old woman was rescued from the debris after an hour-long operation while two women had already been rescued before fire fighters reached the spot.
The elderly woman has been admitted to the civil hospital.
On the reason behind the collapse, Mistry said renovation work was in progress on the ground floor of the apartment.
"We are assuming that the renovation work being undertaken on the ground floor of the apartment may be of sub-standard quality, which might have affected the base of the building, resulting in its collapse," Mistry said.
Seven rescue teams are involved in rescue operations, which are almost complete, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened