Timeline of Godhra train carnage case
Ahmedabad: Here’s the timeline of events related to the 2002 Godhra train carnage case in Gujarat:
Feb 27, 2002: 59 people killed as mob attacks S6 coach of the Sabarmati Express -- en route from Ayodhya to Ahmedabad -- near Godhra railway station in Gujarat.
May 22, 2002: First chargesheet filed by investigation agency, no mention of offences under the provisions of Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA).
Dec 19, 2002: Second supplementary chargesheet filed, still no mention of offences under the provisions of POTA.
March 2003: Special POTA court constituted to conduct trial.
April 16, 2003: Third supplementary chargesheet filed, charging accused with offences under provisions of POTA.
Nov 21, 2003: The Supreme Court stays probe into nine 2002 communal riots cases, including the Godhra train burning case.
September 2004: POTA review committee arrives in Gujarat.
May 16, 2005: POTA review panel gives opinion.
April 2008: The apex court lifts stay on probe and constitutes a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by former Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) chief RK Raghavan to probe the case.
Feb 12, 2009: The Gujarat High Court revokes POTA charges against all the accused in the Godhra train carnage case.
April 2009: The apex court orders formation of special fast track courts for the nine 2002 riots cases, including the Godhra train burning case. Additional Sessions Judge PR Patel appointed for train carnage trial.
June 2009: The special court begins trial in the train burning case.
May 30, 2010: Trial court judge visits the scene of crime near Godhra railway station.
Sep 28, 2010: Trial court reserves judgment.
Jan 24, 2011: Godhra train carnage case verdict fixed for Feb 19, later deferred to Feb 22.
Jan 25, 2011: Supreme Court declines to block Godhra carnage verdict.
Feb 22, 2011: The special fast track court in Ahmedabad convicted 31 people, acquits 63 in the Godhra train carnage case.
March 1, 2011: Out of the 31 convicted, 11 get death, while 20 were give life sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!
- Force India move up to fourth after strong finish in Belgium
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny