Timely action by Vadodara collector saves 25 families
Vadodara: It was after Vadodara Collector Vinod Rao received an SMS text message from a resident of Kandari village on Tuesday night at 9.30 pm that he instructed the deputy collector to rush to the spot.
"Saheb, amne bachaavi lo (Sir, please save us)" was the one line SMS tex message he received from one Vijay Bharwad, a resident of Kandari village of Karjan taluka in Vadodara district, urging him to save 25 families who were trapped between two swelling tributaries.
Rao had also asked swimmers from Nauka Talim Kendra of Sinor and a rescue team of the Vadodara Municipal Corporation fire brigade to reach the spot, while he himself along with district superintendent of police Sandip Singh rushed to Kandari.
Although it was a difficult task to conduct rescue operations in the darkness, Rao and his team managed to rescue as many as 110 people in an operation which lasted for five hours and went on until 5 am in the morning.
Meanwhile, schools in Vadodara city and the district were asked by the Collector to remain closed on Thursday after continuous rain and the water level of Vishwamitri river recorded 28.6 feet at 5 pm on Wednesday.
At least 25,000 people in the district have been shifted to safer places in the past two days, even as Vadodara district administration, the fire brigade, the police, NDRF teams, swimmers of Nauka Talim Kendra and NGOs are busy with relief work in the district.
Meanwhile, collector has requested an army platoon to be kept ready in case of heavy rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra