Timely action by Vadodara collector saves 25 families
Vadodara: It was after Vadodara Collector Vinod Rao received an SMS text message from a resident of Kandari village on Tuesday night at 9.30 pm that he instructed the deputy collector to rush to the spot.
"Saheb, amne bachaavi lo (Sir, please save us)" was the one line SMS tex message he received from one Vijay Bharwad, a resident of Kandari village of Karjan taluka in Vadodara district, urging him to save 25 families who were trapped between two swelling tributaries.
Rao had also asked swimmers from Nauka Talim Kendra of Sinor and a rescue team of the Vadodara Municipal Corporation fire brigade to reach the spot, while he himself along with district superintendent of police Sandip Singh rushed to Kandari.
Although it was a difficult task to conduct rescue operations in the darkness, Rao and his team managed to rescue as many as 110 people in an operation which lasted for five hours and went on until 5 am in the morning.
Meanwhile, schools in Vadodara city and the district were asked by the Collector to remain closed on Thursday after continuous rain and the water level of Vishwamitri river recorded 28.6 feet at 5 pm on Wednesday.
At least 25,000 people in the district have been shifted to safer places in the past two days, even as Vadodara district administration, the fire brigade, the police, NDRF teams, swimmers of Nauka Talim Kendra and NGOs are busy with relief work in the district.
Meanwhile, collector has requested an army platoon to be kept ready in case of heavy rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note