Top floors of residential building collapse in Gujarat
Vadodara: The top two floors of a five-storey residential building here collapsed on Friday night, hours after all the occupants had evacuated it.
"Mahavir Swami Apartment located in Kapdipole area of Raopura had developed cracks and started leaning in the wee hours today," acting city engineer of Vadodara Municipal Corporation Shailesh Mistr said.
The 16 families living there were asked to vacate and power and piped gas supply to the 30-year-old building disconnected, Chief Fire Brigade Officer of VMC HJ Tapariya said.
The residents noticed that the building had started leaning at about 3 am and informed the civic authorities. The fire brigade team rushed to the site and asked them to vacate the building after examining its condition, he said.
The top two floors of the building collapsed tonight and the entire area has been cordoned off, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!