Top floors of residential building collapse in Gujarat
Vadodara: The top two floors of a five-storey residential building here collapsed on Friday night, hours after all the occupants had evacuated it.
"Mahavir Swami Apartment located in Kapdipole area of Raopura had developed cracks and started leaning in the wee hours today," acting city engineer of Vadodara Municipal Corporation Shailesh Mistr said.
The 16 families living there were asked to vacate and power and piped gas supply to the 30-year-old building disconnected, Chief Fire Brigade Officer of VMC HJ Tapariya said.
The residents noticed that the building had started leaning at about 3 am and informed the civic authorities. The fire brigade team rushed to the site and asked them to vacate the building after examining its condition, he said.
The top two floors of the building collapsed tonight and the entire area has been cordoned off, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH