Torture case: Guj court to frame charges against Sanjiv Bhatt
Ahmedabad/Jamnagar: In a major setback to suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, a local court today ordered framing of charges against him and six policemen who are accused in a 21-year-old custodial death case.
Bhatt had moved the sessions court opposing framing of charges against him in connection with the case.
The sessions court will frame charges against all the seven accused on October 30 after the Gujarat High Court today rejected the petitions of six accused policemen challenging the Jamnagar sessions court`s earlier order of dismissing their discharge applications in the case.
While rejecting their pleas, Justice MR Shah also directed sessions court to frame charges against the accused within four weeks from today.
The High Court also directed the lower court to expedite the trial of this 21-year-old case and further directed the sessions court not to interrupt the trial unless there is any order either from the High Court or Supreme Court.
The case concerns the death of one Prabhudas Vaishnani who allegedly succumbed to the injuries inflicted on him while in custody. The police had allegedly thrashed him while he was in custody at the police station on the night of October 30, 1990.
Bhatt, who has alleged complicity of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in 2002 post-Godhra riots, was assistant superintendent of police at the time in Jamnagar.
Prabhudas`s brother, Amrutlal Vaishnani, had lodged a case against Bhatt and the other policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city