Torture case: Guj court to frame charges against Sanjiv Bhatt
Ahmedabad/Jamnagar: In a major setback to suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, a local court today ordered framing of charges against him and six policemen who are accused in a 21-year-old custodial death case.
Bhatt had moved the sessions court opposing framing of charges against him in connection with the case.
The sessions court will frame charges against all the seven accused on October 30 after the Gujarat High Court today rejected the petitions of six accused policemen challenging the Jamnagar sessions court`s earlier order of dismissing their discharge applications in the case.
While rejecting their pleas, Justice MR Shah also directed sessions court to frame charges against the accused within four weeks from today.
The High Court also directed the lower court to expedite the trial of this 21-year-old case and further directed the sessions court not to interrupt the trial unless there is any order either from the High Court or Supreme Court.
The case concerns the death of one Prabhudas Vaishnani who allegedly succumbed to the injuries inflicted on him while in custody. The police had allegedly thrashed him while he was in custody at the police station on the night of October 30, 1990.
Bhatt, who has alleged complicity of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in 2002 post-Godhra riots, was assistant superintendent of police at the time in Jamnagar.
Prabhudas`s brother, Amrutlal Vaishnani, had lodged a case against Bhatt and the other policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack