Torture case: Guj court to frame charges against Sanjiv Bhatt
Ahmedabad/Jamnagar: In a major setback to suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, a local court today ordered framing of charges against him and six policemen who are accused in a 21-year-old custodial death case.
Bhatt had moved the sessions court opposing framing of charges against him in connection with the case.
The sessions court will frame charges against all the seven accused on October 30 after the Gujarat High Court today rejected the petitions of six accused policemen challenging the Jamnagar sessions court`s earlier order of dismissing their discharge applications in the case.
While rejecting their pleas, Justice MR Shah also directed sessions court to frame charges against the accused within four weeks from today.
The High Court also directed the lower court to expedite the trial of this 21-year-old case and further directed the sessions court not to interrupt the trial unless there is any order either from the High Court or Supreme Court.
The case concerns the death of one Prabhudas Vaishnani who allegedly succumbed to the injuries inflicted on him while in custody. The police had allegedly thrashed him while he was in custody at the police station on the night of October 30, 1990.
Bhatt, who has alleged complicity of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in 2002 post-Godhra riots, was assistant superintendent of police at the time in Jamnagar.
Prabhudas`s brother, Amrutlal Vaishnani, had lodged a case against Bhatt and the other policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!