Trade Union strike: Banking, transport sector hit in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: The strike call by Central trade unions hit normal life in Gujarat on Wednesday as workers from varied sectors, including transport and banking, refrained from work, to register protest against government`s economic and labour policies.
Banking services in Gujarat were crippled as over 12,000 officers and 35,000 other banking employees joined the nation-wide strike call given by the United Forum for Bank Union (UFBU), impacting financial transactions of Rs 30,000 crore.
"All clearing house operations remained closed disrupting financial transactions (cheque clearance) to the tune of over Rs 30,000 crore across the state," General Secretary State Bank of India Officer Association (SBIOA) Ahmedabad Shankar Patel said.
SBI has over 1,100 branches across Gujarat, while 21 other nationalised banks are estimated to have 2,000 odd branches, he said, adding that nearly 12,000 bank officers and 35,000 other banking employees were on strike in Gujarat.
Patel claimed that a few private and co-operative sectors banks had also joined the two-day strike call. The banks employees took out a rally at Lal Darwaja and staged demonstration to register their protest.
However, the ATMs were operating as usual, he said.
"Employees of Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) joined the strike call for 24 hours from yesterday night, as a result trips of around 8,000 buses have stopped in the state," said GSRTC secretary P D Patel.
Also, around 4,500 employees of LIC across the state have joined hands with the striking workers of banking and other public sector industry, said S I Bhatt, General Secretary LIC employees Union, Gujarat Division.
Many of them are sitting on a dharna at Lal Darwaja locality here, he claimed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!