Tremors felt in Gujarat, people came out on roads in panic
Ahmedabad: Tremors shook Ahmedabad city and many other parts of Kutch and south Gujarat Tuesday afternoon, Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority (GSDMA) official said.
"A powerful earthquake, with the magnitude of 7.8 on Richter scale, occurred at the Iran-Pakistan border area, the effect of it in form of tremors was felt in western, central and southern areas of our state as well," Deputy Director, GSDMA Gandhinagar, Birju Patel told PTI.
There were no immediate reports of any loss of life or damage to property from any part of the state, he said.
The tremors lasted a few seconds. Soon after tremors, people rushed out of high rise buildings, bringing back the bitter memories of devastating earthquake of 2001 in the state in which thousands of people had lost their lives.
The impact of the tremors was significant in Bhuj of Kutch district which had borne the maximum brunt of 2001 quake, as scores of people rushed out of their homes, offices and other places in panic.
However, there were no reports of loss of lives or damage to properties in Kutch area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says