Tremors felt in Gujarat, people came out on roads in panic
Ahmedabad: Tremors shook Ahmedabad city and many other parts of Kutch and south Gujarat Tuesday afternoon, Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority (GSDMA) official said.
"A powerful earthquake, with the magnitude of 7.8 on Richter scale, occurred at the Iran-Pakistan border area, the effect of it in form of tremors was felt in western, central and southern areas of our state as well," Deputy Director, GSDMA Gandhinagar, Birju Patel told PTI.
There were no immediate reports of any loss of life or damage to property from any part of the state, he said.
The tremors lasted a few seconds. Soon after tremors, people rushed out of high rise buildings, bringing back the bitter memories of devastating earthquake of 2001 in the state in which thousands of people had lost their lives.
The impact of the tremors was significant in Bhuj of Kutch district which had borne the maximum brunt of 2001 quake, as scores of people rushed out of their homes, offices and other places in panic.
However, there were no reports of loss of lives or damage to properties in Kutch area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you