Tulsi Prajapati case: Court raps Amit Shah for non-appearance
Mumbai: A CBI court here Friday reprimanded the counsel of former Gujarat Minister of State for Home, Amit Shah for seeking yet another exemption for his client without assigning any reason for the BJP leader`s non-appearance in connection with the 2006 Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.
"Every time you are giving an exemption application without assigning any reason," said special CBI judge J T Utpat after CBI counsel B P Raju opposed Shah`s exemption application.
However the court allowed his exemption application and fixed the next date of hearing on July 4.
Earlier, on June 6, the court had allowed the exemption plea of Shah and postponed the hearing till today.
Shah in his exemption application today said he could not attend the court hearing as he was in Delhi. "Shah is engaged in political work in New Delhi and therefore not about to come to court," read his application filed by his lawyer Robin Mogera.
The court is also likely to pass an order on the discharge application filed by Shah on June 25.
Lok Sabha Polls 2014.
The court had on May 9 issued summons to Shah and other accused in the case, which was transferred from Gujarat to Mumbai this year.
The CBI had charge-sheeted Shah and 18 others, including several police officers, in the case in September 2013.
According to CBI, gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh, claimed to have links to Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba, and his wife Kauser Bi were abducted by Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorism Squad when they were on way from Hyderabad to Sangli in Maharashtra and killed in an alleged fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.
Tulsiram Prajapati, an eye-witness to the encounter, was killed by police at Chapri village in Banaskantha district of Gujarat in December 2006.
Shah, who was then Minister of State for Home was allegedly involved in the conspiracy behind both the incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends