Two-and-half-year-old rape victim passes away in Gujarat
Vadodara: A two-and-half-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped by her uncle, Tuesday died at a hospital here, police said.
A large number of people led by a local civic body member attended the funeral procession of the victim at Halol town near here.
The girl was allegedly raped and then thrown into a thorny bush on Friday night by her maternal uncle working as a private security guard at Virpur.
The accused, hailing from Nepal, had raped the minor on Friday night when he visited his brother-in-law`s (the girl`s father) house.
The victim`s father, who also hails from Nepal, had been staying in a room at a factory where he was working as a security guard.
A case of rape and kidnapping was registered against the accused at Halol police station, police said, adding that charges under Sec 302 (murder) of IPC was added today after the death of the victim.
After raping the girl on Friday night, the accused had thrown her in a thorny bush. Some youths in the area heard the cries and found her there. They saw the accused and handed him to police after thrashing him.
The victim`s parents had then taken her to a nearby hospital from where she was shifted to SSG hospital in Vadodara for treatment.
After she passed away in the hospital today, her body was buried at Halol.
The distraught mother of the victim demanded death penalty to the accused.
Trading and business organisations, NGOs, autorickshaw association and other bodies had taken out a protest rally in Halol on Saturday. They later submitted a memorandum to the authorities demanding strict and severe punishment to the accused for the heinous crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice