Two get life imprisonment for raping minor girl
Vadodara: Two persons were sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court for raping a minor girl at Bharuch in 2012.
Principal District and Sessions judge RN Dave on Monday awarded the punishment to Sandeep alias Rahul Vinodbhai Chauhan and Kiran Vasantbhai Vasava. The duo were also imposed with a fine of Rs 25,000 each.
Announcing the verdict, the court observed that "a proper message should be sent to the society that such heinous crimes will not be tolerated, and no such acts will be excused," according to public prosecutor Jasubhai Rohit.
The incident took place on March 26, 2012 when the girl had run away from a Nari Sarakshan Gruh (shelter) in Bharuch where she had been staying.
The accused raped her inside a building and threatened to kill her if she revealed the sexual abuse following which she returned to the women shelter.
Later, she narrated the incident to the authorities and a case was registered with the police. The duo was subsequently arrested and the trial began.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr