Two more test positive for Congo virus, kept under isolation
Two persons, including the husband of the 30-year-old woman who died of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) recently at a private hospital here, have tested positive for the fatal virus causing the disease.
Ahmedabad: Two persons, including the
husband of the 30-year-old woman who died of Crimean-Congo
Haemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) recently at a private hospital here,
have tested positive for the fatal virus causing the disease,
Gujarat health officials said on Friday.
"Rehman, husband of the woman who died due to CCHF has
tested positive for the virus causing the disease. Also, one
male staff nurse of the private hospital in the city where
Amina was undergoing treatment, has tested positive,"
Additional Director (Health), Dr Paresh Dave told PTI.
Dave said their test reports were received today and the
condition of the infected duo was stable. They are undergoing
treatment under isolation at government hospitals, he said.
Yesterday, 58 samples (from humans), collected from Kolat
village, had tested negative for CCHF, he said.
"We have sent 132 more samples to the National Institute
of Virology (NIV). Their results are awaited," Dave added.
Amina Momin of Kolat village in Sanand taluka, about 35
kms from here, was the first CCHF casualty. The doctor and
nurse of a private hospital who treated her also contracted
the virus and died after a week when the disease surfaced in
Meanwhile, the six member team from the National Centre
for Disease Control (NCDC), which had arrived in the city
yesterday, has began consultations with state officials to
plan the next course of action and steps needed to be taken
to prevent the spread of CCHF.
According to health officials, a state team of doctors
and veterinarians are still surveying the nearby villages of
Kolat from where the first case of CCHF was recorded.
Animal Husbandry department officials said that most of
the animals in Kolat and nearby areas have been treated with
disinfectants to kill the ticks.
The CCHF infection is primarily found in animals which is
caused by tick-based virus. It may infect a wide range of
domestic and wild animals.
Humans who become infected with CCHF acquire the virus
from direct contact with blood or other infected tissues from
livestock. They can get it from a tick bite also.