UK woman alleges humiliation in Gujarat court
Ahmedabad: A 23-year-old British woman, who
was allegedly molested by a plumber last month, has written a
letter to Gujarat High Court Chief Justice complaining of
"humiliation" during hearing of the case at a metropolitan
In a letter to Chief Justice K S Radhakrishnan yesterday,
the woman alleged that Sanjay Prajapati, lawyer representing
the plumber, humiliated her by asking whether she smoked or
consumed alcohol, her lawyer Meena Jagtap said.
She further claimed that Prajapati, during the hearing in
the court of magistrate N M Gundeliya on Monday, had asked her
questions in Gujarati which she could not comprehend and that
she was not provided with a translator.
Even public prosecutor J S Joshi left the court during
cross examination to attend hearing in another case, she
Yesterday, the woman brought her own counsel, Meenal
Jagtap, in the court who also acted as a translator.
The woman, who is here to attend a three-month internship
programme with a city-based NGO, earlier filed an FIR with
Satellite police station alleging that local plumber, Pragnesh
Chhatrada, molested her on August 24 when he had come to her
residence for a plumbing job.
Following the complaint, Chhatrada was arrested and
Meanwhile, the British woman moved a plea to conduct the
hearing in the case in-camera, which was accepted by the
During such a hearing, only the Judge, victim, accused
and their lawyers can remain present in the courtroom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far