Under attack, Modi orders inquiry into snooping row
Ahmedabad: Under attack over alleged snooping on a woman by Gujarat police, Narendra Modi government today appointed a two-member Commission of Inquiry headed by a retired woman judge of the Ahmedabad High Court.
Retired Gujarat High Court judge Sugnyaben K Bhatt and K C Kapoor, retired Additional Chief Secretary of the state, will be part of the inquiry panel which has been asked to submit its report within three months.
"We have formed a commission to inquire into the allegations of security provided to the young woman," state Finance Minister Nitin Patel told PTI.
Modi, who is BJP Prime Ministerial candidate, has come under sharp attack from Congress which had asked BJP to rethink his nomination and demanded a CBI inquiry.
Modi`s detractors, including suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma, had tried to corner the CM alleging that the phone of the woman was being tapped illegally at his behest and the announcement today is seen as a damage control exercise.
"After considering all aspects of the case, the state government has decided to get the matter inquired in the larger public interest to gather, assimilate and establish the truth.
"Thus, the Government of Gujarat has constituted a two-member Commission of Inquiry under the Commission of Inquiries Act, 1952 to inquire into and report on the said incident(s)," a Gujarat government statement said.
It said the panel has been appointed in the wake of reports in the media about some audio tapes made public by Cobrapost and Gulail.Com about "alleged incident(s) of security/surveillance of a woman in the State of Gujarat in 2009".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA