Under attack, Modi orders inquiry into snooping row
Ahmedabad: Under attack over alleged snooping on a woman by Gujarat police, Narendra Modi government today appointed a two-member Commission of Inquiry headed by a retired woman judge of the Ahmedabad High Court.
Retired Gujarat High Court judge Sugnyaben K Bhatt and K C Kapoor, retired Additional Chief Secretary of the state, will be part of the inquiry panel which has been asked to submit its report within three months.
"We have formed a commission to inquire into the allegations of security provided to the young woman," state Finance Minister Nitin Patel told PTI.
Modi, who is BJP Prime Ministerial candidate, has come under sharp attack from Congress which had asked BJP to rethink his nomination and demanded a CBI inquiry.
Modi`s detractors, including suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma, had tried to corner the CM alleging that the phone of the woman was being tapped illegally at his behest and the announcement today is seen as a damage control exercise.
"After considering all aspects of the case, the state government has decided to get the matter inquired in the larger public interest to gather, assimilate and establish the truth.
"Thus, the Government of Gujarat has constituted a two-member Commission of Inquiry under the Commission of Inquiries Act, 1952 to inquire into and report on the said incident(s)," a Gujarat government statement said.
It said the panel has been appointed in the wake of reports in the media about some audio tapes made public by Cobrapost and Gulail.Com about "alleged incident(s) of security/surveillance of a woman in the State of Gujarat in 2009".
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday
- Scary! Truck carrying firecrackers catches fire at Yamuna Expressway – Watch
- Watch video: Top 10 incredible health benefits of pineapples!
- 1971 Indo-Pak war: 'Dusting was Indira Gandhi's stress-buster'
- House of Representative Speaker Paul Ryan invites PM Modi to address joint meeting of US Congress