Uproar in Gujarat Assembly over rise in swine flu cases
Gandhinagar: There was an uproar in the Gujarat Assembly on Thursday over rising number of swine flu cases in the state with the Opposition Congress trying to move an adjournment motion on the issue.
The Speaker, however, rejected the demand saying the matter was already discussed.
"Every day atleast five persons are dying because of swine flu and it has spread across the state. This House should discuss the urgent steps needed to contain the spread, considering its sensitivity," Congress chief whip Balvantsinh Rajput said after the Question Hour.
Congress members Bavku Unghad from Lathi, Tejashri Patel of Viramgam and Dr Anil Joshiyara from Bhiloda had submitted adjournment motions to the Speaker, seeking discussion on the steps being taken by the government, given that about 105 people have died of swine flu.
However, Speaker Vajubhai Vala rejected their demand saying that the Assembly had already discussed the issue on February 21.
"This House has already discussed the issue and the minister concerned has replied in detail about the steps taken by the government and how it planned to control the spread of swine flu," Vala said.
"This issue does not fall in the category of a big accident or bomb blasts...It is about rise in the incidents of swine flu. Hence, as per rules, the House (regular proceedings) cannot be adjourned," he held.
Congress members, however, were not satisfied by the answer and continued to press for adjournment. The Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela also expressed concerns over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog