Vadodara building collapse: Congress wants govt inquiry commission head to `recuse`
Vadodara: Raising the pitch for a judicial probe into Wednesday`s collapse of two buildings in which 11 persons were killed, Congress on Saturday asked Manjula Subramaniam, former Gujarat chief secretary, to withdraw as the head of the inquiry commission appointed by the state government.
"You were Urban Secretary in 1999-2001 when these 458 flats in 33 buildings in Madhavnagar and Keshavnagar areas in Atladara were designed, tendered and the contracts awarded. Even the plinth-checking was done before 2001 and it was certified," said a memorandum submitted to Subramaniam by a delegation of local Congress leaders.
Subramaniam arrived here to conduct investigations into the cause of the collapse.
The delegation, led by city unit president Narendra Ravat, said, "...How do we except independent inquiry from your end when in fact your role is under the scrutiny?"
The Leader of Opposition Shankersinh Vaghela yesterday demanded a judicial commission, headed by a retired judge of the Gujarat High Court, to inquire into the collapse of two three-storey buildings constructed for economically weaker sections by Vadodara Urban Development Authority (VUDA).
Ravat alleged that Subramaniam hid the fact she was Urban Secretary when the design plans of the buildings were approved.
The delegation demanded that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and the Urban Secretary be held responsible for the death of occupants of the flats by allowing the "flawed construction plan".
"These structures were constructed immediately after the devastating earthquake in 2001. Even though they were built as earthquake-proof, it was imperative that utmost care should have been taken. This incident highlights the extent of corruption which is going on in Gujarat since 2002," said the memorandum, copies of which were distributed to media.
Congress also asked the government to provide alternate accommodation to those displaced due to the cave-in.
The copies of the memorandum were forwarded to state Governor Kamla Beniwal and chief minister Narendra Modi.
Police filed an FIR on Thursday against the contractor(s) of the buildings and officials of Vadodara Urban Development Authority for culpable homicide not amounting to murder under relevant IPC sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’