Vadodara buildings collapse: Gujarat Congress wants judicial probe
Vadodara: The Gujarat Congress on Friday demanded a judicial probe into the collapse of two buildings in the city early on Wednesday which claimed 11 lives.
Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela demanded a judicial commission headed by a retired judge of the Gujarat High Court to inquire into the incident.
Vaghela was speaking to reporters after visiting the accident site.
The two buildings had collapsed at 4.30 am on Wednesday behind Atladara area in the city. A high-level inquiry commission headed by retired chief secretary Manjula Subramaniam has been ordered to be constituted by Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"Manjula Subramanium is a retired government servant. The panel will not help in bringing out the truth," Vaghela said.
"These buildings were constructed by Vadodara Development Authority (VUDA), a Gujarat government-promoted agency and inauguration of other 31 buildings located in the area was done by Chief Minister Narendra Modi himself in 2001. How can you expect a fair inquiry into it?" he asked.
The Congress leader demanded a compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to the kin of the deceased as against Rs 2 lakh announced by the state government earlier.
Former president of Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee Siddharth Patel alleged, despite repeated pleas by the people residing in these ill-fated buildings, VUDA failed to take timely action resulting to loss of lives.
"Poor quality of raw material was responsible for collapse of both buildings and weakening of the remaining 31 buildings," Patel alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state