Vadodara city Cong chief Ravat wins primary for Lok Sabha
Vadodara: Congress`s city unit president Narendra Ravat was on Thursday elected the party candidate for Vadodara Lok Sabha seat under primaries project, piloted by party vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
Other candidates in the fray were former city Congress president Suresh Patel, district Congress president Vinu Patel and party`s city unit president of women wing Rajeshri Desai.
For the internal election, 607 party workers had registered as voters here of which 514 cast their votes.
As per the rules, each voter was supposed to cast two preferential votes. The winner must acquire 50 per cent first preference votes.
"No candidate acquired 50 per cent votes of first preference. So we took into consideration second preference votes and declared Ravat winner," said Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee spokesperson Manish Doshi.
Ravat got 265 votes, Suresh Patel 200, Vinu Patel 33 and Desai 12.
Senior Congress leader Dr Jayesh Patel reportedly had a heated exchange with some other leaders at the polling venue.
It is learnt that Dr Patel, who lost Assembly election from Waghodia in 2012, was denied entry into voting booth as he had photocopy of his voter id-card instead of the original.
He could not be contacted.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living