Vadodara to host global languages conference
Vadodara: Representatives of nearly 900
languages from across the world will come together for a global conference on languages here this week.
Delegates from 23 countries will take part in the
two-day event from January 7 organised by Bhasha Research and
Publication Centre (BRPC).
"The countries, which are going to participate include,
Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh,?Bhutan,?Brazil, Canada,
France, Germany, Hungary, Indonesia, the UK and the USA, among
others," BRPC founder Ganesh Devi said.
Linguists and language experts from all the states and
union territories of India would also participate in the meet,
"The event is unprecedented, as never before have representatives of nearly 900 languages come together on the same platform," Devi said.
"The meet will feature languages belonging to nearly 22
language families," he said, adding various national
organisations like the Central Sahitya Academy, Central
Institute of Indian Languages and the Indira Gandhi National
Museum of Man, have associated themselves with the `Bhasha
Over 600 scholars, linguists and writers from all parts
of India would join the meet.
On the eve of the conference, the BRPC has planned to
unveil 13 volumes of People`s Linguistic Survey of India
(PLSI), covering 375 Indian languages from 12 states,
including Gujarat, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Rajasthan,
Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu & Kashmir, West Bengal,
Orissa, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh.
The PLSI is the first nation-wide linguistic survey since
George Grierson`s Linguistic Survey of India, which was
carried out at the beginning of the 20th century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000