Vadodara to host global languages conference
Vadodara: Representatives of nearly 900
languages from across the world will come together for a global conference on languages here this week.
Delegates from 23 countries will take part in the
two-day event from January 7 organised by Bhasha Research and
Publication Centre (BRPC).
"The countries, which are going to participate include,
Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh,?Bhutan,?Brazil, Canada,
France, Germany, Hungary, Indonesia, the UK and the USA, among
others," BRPC founder Ganesh Devi said.
Linguists and language experts from all the states and
union territories of India would also participate in the meet,
"The event is unprecedented, as never before have representatives of nearly 900 languages come together on the same platform," Devi said.
"The meet will feature languages belonging to nearly 22
language families," he said, adding various national
organisations like the Central Sahitya Academy, Central
Institute of Indian Languages and the Indira Gandhi National
Museum of Man, have associated themselves with the `Bhasha
Over 600 scholars, linguists and writers from all parts
of India would join the meet.
On the eve of the conference, the BRPC has planned to
unveil 13 volumes of People`s Linguistic Survey of India
(PLSI), covering 375 Indian languages from 12 states,
including Gujarat, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Rajasthan,
Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu & Kashmir, West Bengal,
Orissa, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh.
The PLSI is the first nation-wide linguistic survey since
George Grierson`s Linguistic Survey of India, which was
carried out at the beginning of the 20th century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’