Vaghela-Patel spat: Speaker purges controversial remarks
Gandhinagar: A day after a heated exchange between Gujarat Energy Minister Saurabh Patel and Leader of Opposition in the legislative Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela, Speaker Vaju Vala on Thursday removed the remarks made by the minister and a Congress MLA from the record.
As today`s session started, Vala said he had seen the video footage of yesterday`s proceedings.
"I have ordered officials to expunge three lines spoken in the House yesterday, which according to me were undemocratic and unparliamentary," Vala said, which mollified Congress legislators.
The statements were made by Patel and a Congress MLA during the commotion in the house as the minister and the leader of opposition traded caustic remarks.
The Speaker also said the legislators should refrain from using language with defamatory substance and allegations.
"I once again remind you not to talk directly to each other. You should always address me while saying anything in the house. Don`t use unparliamentary words," he said.
Though Patel didn`t apologise despite the opposition Congress`s demand, he said Vaghela deserved respect.
"It was never my intention to hurt or insult the Leader of Opposition. He is a senior and a respected person. I also understand that the post of Leader of Opposition is a constitutional post," he said.
Later, Vaghela said in a press release that Congress had decided not to stage any protest as the controversial remarks had been removed from the record.
However, he maintained his earlier claim that there was a possibility of corruption in the Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation, which comes under Patel`s ministry.
"Since the minister is in a fix after our allegations, he is giving false answers and misleading the house. He hasn`t given any satisfactory answer about Rs 304 crore debited from the accounts of GSPC as miscellaneous expenses," the release said.
- Funny video alert! ‘Housefull 3’ trio - Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan and Riteish Deshmukh - goes crazy
- Check jkbose.co.in for JKBOSE 12th Results 2016: Jammu and Kashmir Board Class 12 results declared
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court