Vaghela-Patel spat: Speaker purges controversial remarks
Gandhinagar: A day after a heated exchange between Gujarat Energy Minister Saurabh Patel and Leader of Opposition in the legislative Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela, Speaker Vaju Vala on Thursday removed the remarks made by the minister and a Congress MLA from the record.
As today`s session started, Vala said he had seen the video footage of yesterday`s proceedings.
"I have ordered officials to expunge three lines spoken in the House yesterday, which according to me were undemocratic and unparliamentary," Vala said, which mollified Congress legislators.
The statements were made by Patel and a Congress MLA during the commotion in the house as the minister and the leader of opposition traded caustic remarks.
The Speaker also said the legislators should refrain from using language with defamatory substance and allegations.
"I once again remind you not to talk directly to each other. You should always address me while saying anything in the house. Don`t use unparliamentary words," he said.
Though Patel didn`t apologise despite the opposition Congress`s demand, he said Vaghela deserved respect.
"It was never my intention to hurt or insult the Leader of Opposition. He is a senior and a respected person. I also understand that the post of Leader of Opposition is a constitutional post," he said.
Later, Vaghela said in a press release that Congress had decided not to stage any protest as the controversial remarks had been removed from the record.
However, he maintained his earlier claim that there was a possibility of corruption in the Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation, which comes under Patel`s ministry.
"Since the minister is in a fix after our allegations, he is giving false answers and misleading the house. He hasn`t given any satisfactory answer about Rs 304 crore debited from the accounts of GSPC as miscellaneous expenses," the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video