Vaghela`s remarks raise hackles in Congress
New Delhi: A senior Congress leader on Sunday objected to remarks by former Union minister Shankarsinh Vaghela that he had nearly quit the party and was set to rejoin BJP, saying such utterances ahead of Assembly polls in Gujarat would demoralise partymen.
"Shankar Singh Vaghela has said in an interview that at one stage, he wanted to leave Congress and was even ready to join BJP and NCP. It is condemnable because such statements demoralise the rank and file of Congress party," special invitee to the Congress Working Committee Anil Shastri told PTI.
He said Congress has to face assembly elections this year in Gujarat, therefore, "he (Vaghela) should be cautious in his utterances as he is supposed to be leading the election campaign there as chairman of the campaign committee."
Shastri was reacting to a recent interview of Vaghela in which he had said that he wanted to leave the Congress because he did not agree with their ways, and was unhappy that his own party had sabotaged his campaign in 2009.
"I was going (to the BJP in 2009), I am saying openly.... I feel that (the Congress) party should be readying its candidates if not a year, at least six months in advance. It is barely six months to the polls, where are the candidates? My displeasure still stands," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015