Vaghela`s remarks raise hackles in Congress
New Delhi: A senior Congress leader on Sunday objected to remarks by former Union minister Shankarsinh Vaghela that he had nearly quit the party and was set to rejoin BJP, saying such utterances ahead of Assembly polls in Gujarat would demoralise partymen.
"Shankar Singh Vaghela has said in an interview that at one stage, he wanted to leave Congress and was even ready to join BJP and NCP. It is condemnable because such statements demoralise the rank and file of Congress party," special invitee to the Congress Working Committee Anil Shastri told PTI.
He said Congress has to face assembly elections this year in Gujarat, therefore, "he (Vaghela) should be cautious in his utterances as he is supposed to be leading the election campaign there as chairman of the campaign committee."
Shastri was reacting to a recent interview of Vaghela in which he had said that he wanted to leave the Congress because he did not agree with their ways, and was unhappy that his own party had sabotaged his campaign in 2009.
"I was going (to the BJP in 2009), I am saying openly.... I feel that (the Congress) party should be readying its candidates if not a year, at least six months in advance. It is barely six months to the polls, where are the candidates? My displeasure still stands," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!
- This Russian cat adopts baby monkey after his mother abandons him – Watch inspirational video!
- Centre must explain Scorpene submarines leak, says Congress
- 10 hot features of Google Android Nougat Operating System