Vaju Vala unanimously elected as Speaker of Guj Assembly
Gandhinagar: Veteran leader and former state Finance Minister Vaju Vala was unanimously elected as the new Speaker of the Gujarat Assembly here on Wednesday.
During the first session of the thirteenth Assembly, Chief Minister Narendra Modi proposed Vala`s name for the post, which was supported by veteran Congress leader Mohansingh Rathwa.
Pro tem Speaker Nima Acharya then put the name of Vala for voting and he was elected unanimously by a voice vote, following which, Modi, along with two former Chief Ministers Shankarsinh Vaghela and Keshubhai Patel and former Speaker Ganpat Vasava, led Vala to his chair.
"I assure this House to uphold the tradition and value of this post with all my sincerity and to fulfil all the expectations of the members," Vala said in his first address to the House as the Speaker.
"At the same time, I also expect that all the members of this House will uphold the prestige of the House whenever they make a speech," he added.
He also requested all the members to help him in smooth functioning of the Assembly. "Let`s all work for the development of our state and for the nation building," he said.
Congratulating Vala on the occasion, Modi said he was a "motivational force".
Modi also praised Vala for his "great" sense of humour`, as well as for being "an able administrator and an extra-ordinary leader".
Newly elected Leader of Opposition and former Chief Minister Shankarsingh Vaghela remembered his association with Vala on the occasion.
Keshubhai Patel, NCP leader Jayant Patel, Finance Minister Nitin Patel, Education Minister Bhupendra Chudasama, Minister of Parliamentary affairs and former Speaker Ganpat Vasava, Congress leaders Jasa Barad and Balwantsingh Rajput also congratulated Vala and addressed the House.
Vala, the six-time MLA, who holds the record of presenting the most number of state Budgets (14 times), had resigned from the primary membership of BJP yesterday before filing his nomination papers for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`