Vajubhai Vala set to be new Gujarat Assembly Speaker
Gandhinagar: Veteran BJP leader and former Gujarat Finance Minister Vajubhai Vala is set to be elected unopposed as the new Speaker of the state Assembly.
The six-time MLA, who holds the record of presenting the most number of state Budgets (14 times), today resigned from the primary membership of BJP before filing his nomination papers for the post of Speaker.
The election of Speaker is scheduled to be held tomorrow in the first session of the newly elected Assembly. No other candidate is in the fray.
"I resigned from the primary membership of the party and submitted the letter to State BJP President R C Faldu before filing my nomination papers for the Speaker`s post," Vala said while talking to reporters here today.
Main Opposition Congress, which has 59 MLAs, has adhered to the tradition of unanimously electing the Speaker and decided not to field any candidate.
Anticipating his unopposed election, Vala said, "I will work as per the rules of the House. My role as Speaker will be to ensure that laws aimed at the welfare of the people are passed without any hindrance."
Vala, considered a close aide of Chief Minister Narendra Modi, had been tipped to be nominated for the post when his name was excluded from the list of new Ministers, who took oath last month.
After the Speaker`s election, Governor Kamla Beniwal will address the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list