Vajubhai Vala set to be new Gujarat Assembly Speaker
Gandhinagar: Veteran BJP leader and former Gujarat Finance Minister Vajubhai Vala is set to be elected unopposed as the new Speaker of the state Assembly.
The six-time MLA, who holds the record of presenting the most number of state Budgets (14 times), today resigned from the primary membership of BJP before filing his nomination papers for the post of Speaker.
The election of Speaker is scheduled to be held tomorrow in the first session of the newly elected Assembly. No other candidate is in the fray.
"I resigned from the primary membership of the party and submitted the letter to State BJP President R C Faldu before filing my nomination papers for the Speaker`s post," Vala said while talking to reporters here today.
Main Opposition Congress, which has 59 MLAs, has adhered to the tradition of unanimously electing the Speaker and decided not to field any candidate.
Anticipating his unopposed election, Vala said, "I will work as per the rules of the House. My role as Speaker will be to ensure that laws aimed at the welfare of the people are passed without any hindrance."
Vala, considered a close aide of Chief Minister Narendra Modi, had been tipped to be nominated for the post when his name was excluded from the list of new Ministers, who took oath last month.
After the Speaker`s election, Governor Kamla Beniwal will address the House.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'