Valentine`s Day: Tomatoes thrown on couples by Bajrang Dal men
Ahmedabad: The activists of Bajrang Dal and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Friday threw rotten tomatoes at couples celebrating Valentine`s Day on the banks of Sabarmati river here.
Couples were seen running to save themselves when a large group of Bajrang Dal workers suddenly thronged the place and started throwing tomatoes at them. Some of them tried to escape in their vehicles while others ran for cover.
No complaint has been lodged with the police so far in connection with the incident. Hundreds of couples were present at the Sabarmati riverfront this morning to celebrate Valentine`s Day.
VHP and Bajrang Dal organised programmes in the city to protest "indecent" celebration of the day. Bajrang Dal city president Jwalit Mehta, who led the charge, told PTI that they had been going to colleges in various parts of the city over the last few days to educate students about the negative influences of imbibing western traditions and aspects of their culture.
"Many students supported our endeavour. But, there were many students and others who thronged the riverfront today. We threw rotten tomatoes at them and they ran away from there," Mehta said.
"There is nothing wrong in imbibing positive aspects of western culture, but VHP and Bajrang Dal are against obscenity in the name of westernisation. Valentine`s Day is one such obscene celebration," he said.
Later, the activists burnt Valentine`s Day cards on the same venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days