Valentine`s Day: Tomatoes thrown on couples by Bajrang Dal men
Ahmedabad: The activists of Bajrang Dal and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Friday threw rotten tomatoes at couples celebrating Valentine`s Day on the banks of Sabarmati river here.
Couples were seen running to save themselves when a large group of Bajrang Dal workers suddenly thronged the place and started throwing tomatoes at them. Some of them tried to escape in their vehicles while others ran for cover.
No complaint has been lodged with the police so far in connection with the incident. Hundreds of couples were present at the Sabarmati riverfront this morning to celebrate Valentine`s Day.
VHP and Bajrang Dal organised programmes in the city to protest "indecent" celebration of the day. Bajrang Dal city president Jwalit Mehta, who led the charge, told PTI that they had been going to colleges in various parts of the city over the last few days to educate students about the negative influences of imbibing western traditions and aspects of their culture.
"Many students supported our endeavour. But, there were many students and others who thronged the riverfront today. We threw rotten tomatoes at them and they ran away from there," Mehta said.
"There is nothing wrong in imbibing positive aspects of western culture, but VHP and Bajrang Dal are against obscenity in the name of westernisation. Valentine`s Day is one such obscene celebration," he said.
Later, the activists burnt Valentine`s Day cards on the same venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered