Very low conviction rate in atrocity cases in Guj: Wasnik
Ahmedabad: Gujarat has very low rate of
conviction in the cases related to atrocity against scheduled
tribes and scheduled castes, Union minister of social justice
and empowerment Mukul Wasnik claimed on Saturday.
Wasnik, who held a review meeting of SC, ST cases and
other issues here, told reporters that the conviction rate in
atrocity cases in Gujarat is mere 6.8 per cent in case of
atrocity against SCs and 4.3 per cent in case of STs.
"This is extremely low rate of conviction compared to the
national average, which is around 30 per cent," he said,
adding the officials of the state government have been asked
to look into the issue.
The minister said the main reasons for low conviction
rate include not pursuing the cases properly at investigation
and trial levels and witnesses turning hostile.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- TVS Motor sales up 16% in April
- Parineeti Chopra wants 'spa-like' personal spaces at her abode
- Nobody came to help while I screamed, says victim of Bengaluru kidnapping case
- Indian Premier League 2016: List of 11 injured players that have been ruled out of remaining tournament
- Kishore Biyani resigns as Managing Director of Future Retail