Very low conviction rate in atrocity cases in Guj: Wasnik
Ahmedabad: Gujarat has very low rate of
conviction in the cases related to atrocity against scheduled
tribes and scheduled castes, Union minister of social justice
and empowerment Mukul Wasnik claimed on Saturday.
Wasnik, who held a review meeting of SC, ST cases and
other issues here, told reporters that the conviction rate in
atrocity cases in Gujarat is mere 6.8 per cent in case of
atrocity against SCs and 4.3 per cent in case of STs.
"This is extremely low rate of conviction compared to the
national average, which is around 30 per cent," he said,
adding the officials of the state government have been asked
to look into the issue.
The minister said the main reasons for low conviction
rate include not pursuing the cases properly at investigation
and trial levels and witnesses turning hostile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list