Vibrant Gujarat Summit deals under I-T dept scanner
Gandhinagar: The Income Tax department has
initiated an inquiry into around 8,000 MoUs signed by several
investors and the state government at this year`s high profile
Vibrant Gujarat Summit(VGS) to bring in an anticipated Rs 21
lakh crore investment.
Minister of State for Industries Saurabh Patel while
revealing the IT decision in the state Assembly today blamed
Congress for this and asked why Gujarat--which is ruled by
BJP--is being targeted by the Centre as a "special case". The
summit was touted by the state government as a big success for
Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"We have received a letter from the Income Tax
department seeking information about all the memoranda of
understanding (MoUs) signed during the VGS 2011," Patel told
Details of VGS held in 2009 too have been sought, he
Patel alleged that this was proof that Opposition
Congress was creating hurdles in Gujarat`s progress.
I-T department`s letter states that an inquiry in
connection with the VGS 2011 is pending, and "the details of
the MoUs signed by various corporate entities with the
Government of Gujarat need to be examined".
The letter, dated February 17, signed by Deputy
Director (investigations) Anurag Sharma, further says the
inquiry is being conducted under section 131 (1A) of the
Income Tax Act.
"It is unfortunate that because of the attitude of
Leader of the Opposition (Shaktisinh Gohil) and his constant
complaints to the Centre, the I-T department has sent us a
letter," Patel told reporters after coming out of the
"I want to ask the Central government, has it sent such
letters with regard to the investment proposals in all the
states, or has Gujarat been taken as a special case," Patel
When asked if the state had replied to the I-T letter,
Patel said, "We will get into action now."
"The country and the world... all have appreciated the
success of VGS 2011. It is unfortunate that I-T department of
the country has initiated an inquiry and asked the state to
furnish details of MoUs and investors where investment above
Rs 1000 crore was pledged," he said.
"This is injustice to the state and the people of
Gujarat," the minister added.
As many as 7,936 MoUs, drawing investment to the tune
of Rs 20.83 lakh crore, were signed by the state government at
the VGS 2011, held on January 12-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah